Sydney to Newcastle and Canberra Fast Rail
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) were seeking a service provider to deliver land use planning, strategy and design to support a Fast Rail Sydney to Canberra and Fast Rail Sydney to Newcastle. The scope of work comprised two components, these being:
- Package 1: Land use input and economic assessment – Sydney to Newcastle corridor
- Package 2: Corridor narrative and strategic urban design –Sydney to Newcastle and Sydney to Canberra corridors.
HillPDA project managed a consortium which included Cox and LUTI to provide a successful outcome for TfNSW. Specifically, HillPDA were engaged to provide:
A discussion paper 1 – Corridor Vision – Socio-demographic changes.
- This built on the Corridor Vision developed during the Strategic Business Case phase, delivering an updated and detailed narrative describing the socio-demographic characteristics of communities in the corridor now and how they may change in future with the Project
A Take-up analysis report.
- The report estimated the residential and employment uplift eventuating from each project and validate the take-up of dwellings to ensure market viability and absorption were achieved.
HillPDA prepared comprehensive visual outputs which meet the requirements of TfNSW. Specifically, we provided:
A discussion paper, which:
- Discussed the socio-demographic characteristics of settlements along the corridor today, in future without Project, and in future with Project.
- Identified benchmark from precedent projects and describe specific changes that could potentially occur in the corridor.
- Outlined the implications from the demographic changes to communities and to service planning.
A take-up analysis report, which:
- Provided a review of local residential property dynamics (price, sales rates, take-up)
- Case study analysis of similar rail corridors to determine historic capacity of the market to absorb new stock
- Likely take-up (dwellings and jobs) and capacity of each rail corridor and option.
- Project management
- Socio-demographic analysis and forecasting
- Residential property dynamics
- Projected take-up analysis (employment and dwellings)
- Case studies.
Client: Transport for NSW
Project year: 2020
For more information, contact Nicholas Hill, Principal