Mornington Peninsula Equity Land Trust
The purpose of this project was to investigate and assess a range of options and resourcing scenarios through which Mornington Peninsula Shire Council may be able to provide assistance to local persons in housing need. Within the range of options, HillPDA examined the feasibility of the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council establishing an Equity Land Trust for the Mornington Peninsula.
Our value add
HillPDA developed a methodology that provided a variety of options for Council plus feasibility testing. The Equity Land Trust option was evaluated against:
- Direct Provision – direct provision of housing assistance
- Land Only Scenario – Council owned land contribution to a Housing Association or Housing Provider
- Surplus Land Scenario – Disposal of surplus land to a Housing Association or Housing Provider
- Cash Grant Scenario – A grant scheme for social housing projects; and
- Housing Trust Scenario – Land contribution held in a trust rather than direct ownership.
By offering a suite of affordable housing provision options and feasibility testing, HillPDA produced strategic justification for Council policy as well as procedural advice. This would help Council staff implement and manage future affordable housing stock.
- Policy analysis
- Housing affordability modelling
- Policy and planning control recommendations
Client: Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
Project date: Aug 2017 – Feb 2018
For more information, contact Alex Hrelja, Principal