Retail Floorspace Survey and Industry Analysis
Albury City Council (Council) had previously developed a Retail Development Strategy in 2015 to provide guidance for the future of retail in the region. However, changes in the retail landscape necessitated a review and update of the strategy to reflect the current environment and recent trends. To initiate this process, Albury City Council commissioned HillPDA to conduct a retail floorspace survey and undertake in-depth industry analysis of the major retail precincts in the CBD, Lavington, and Thurgoona. The resulting report was intended to provide insight into the current and future state of the retail industry in these areas, with a view towards planning for future retail development.
More specifically, the report provided:
- a comprehensive assessment of the demand and supply for retail development in Albury’s major retail precincts, with considerations given to current retail and industry trends and insights gained from targeted stakeholder engagement
- a high-level evaluation of Council’s plans and policies impacting the retail sector, including land use zoning, design and development guidelines
- recommendations relating to planning and space allocation to assist Council in their planning and policy decisions for future development of retail across the Albury Local Government Area (LGA).
Our value add
Along with offering a clear direction and roadmap for the future of retail development opportunities in the Albury LGA, HillPDA provided Council with a range of short and long-term initiatives to enhance the vibrancy and ongoing success of Albury’s major retail precincts. For example, HillPDA identified specific retail store types / retailers to target, opportunities for destination retailing and areas which could benefit from public domain improvements.
- Commercial and retail audit
- Stakeholder engagement
- Retail supply and demand analysis
- Industry and retail trend analysis.
Client: Albury City Council
Project year: 2021
For more information, contact Aneta Ramos, Senior Consultant